How to Propose
Five Proposal Tips
Planning to propose? These tips will help make your special moment even more unforgettable.
- Go beyond the words “Will You Marry Me.” Most girls dream of these four words, but what makes your proposal unique are the other words you say. Tell her how you knew you wanted to marry her, the tiny, beautiful details you love about her, the things you want to do in your future together or how excited you are to ask this question. Don’t recite a two-page paper—think of a few things you want to say, rehearse them so they’re in your memory if you need them, then let the moment take you. You will surely be nervous—there’s never been a man who wasn’t—but just look into her eyes and the confidence will come!
- Don’t tell the world before it happens. Once you’ve nailed down your plan, you’ll be so proud of it that you’ll want to tell everyone! The key to a magical proposal, however, is the surprise element. You want her to have absolutely no clue. As much as you love and trust your friends and family, unintentional things happen. Only tell people who are directly involved in the proposal, and do it as close to the proposal date as possible, to reduce the risk of someone spilling the beans!
- Catch it on camera. You know those adrenaline-filled moments when you almost forget what happened minutes later? That happens a lot during proposals—for both you and your bride-to-be. Having a photographer “in the bushes” while you drop to one knee will ensure it’s a moment you remember forever. The emotion is priceless and, these days, most women say they want it captured (we did a survey to prove it). HowHeAsked offers recommended proposal photographers, but if you have a friend who is talented with a camera, we’ll say yes to that, too!
- Ask her parents. Some might argue that the act is purely out of tradition and an outdated one at that. However, we think the tradition has evolved, just like most things in the world do (including marriage). The act has become a romantic, thoughtful gesture, and it includes mom and dad in something they, too, have lovingly wished for alongside their daughter. Nowadays, you’re also not asking for their permission as much as you’re asking for their blessing. It’s simply a beautiful thing for you to experience with your soon-to-be parents-in-law.
- Take your time sharing the news. In this social media age, we all jump to share our joy the minute we feel it. You have time, plenty of time, to tell the world … tomorrow. On the day of your proposal, enjoy your moment. Set aside time afterwards to tell her all the things you didn’t tell her when you were on one knee. Tell her how you found the ring, all the ways you planned for the proposal and the funny things that happened along the way. You’ll have forever to tell your story, but only one day will be the day you asked your best friend to marry you.
Now, let’s start planning! For proposal ideas, How He Asked has tons of real stories to get your juices flowing, and we’d love for you to read through them for inspiration! Just remember to always maintain YOU in your proposal, and make sure to share your proposal with us after she says yes!